Like My Page On Facebook

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Corn Souffle

I slipped with my camera skills yesterday, and sadly I didn't photograph the deliciousness which was the corn souffle. I'm not really sure why I call it a "souffle" because it doesn't even have any eggs in it. It IS very light and fluffy, and it really puffs up like a souffle...so I'm just going along those lines. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Last night we did Thanksgiving meal #1 at my parents' house, and this was one of the dishes I took with me. (You heard me right, I said Thanksgiving meal #1. I get 2 meals. I'm very lucky!!) Don't worry, when I make it again on Thursday I will come right back here and post a picture. Promise. :-) I don't know where this recipe originally came from. What I do know is someone made it several years ago and I have wanted it ever since. I never, ever remember to try and make it year after year. I don't know why. This may have happened because I was thinking a lot about corn the other day. If you read my previous post you can see the thought process has continued throughout my weekend. Getting off track again. So I'm going to give you the recipe that has worked for me, and let me tell you, it is very, VERY simple. Simple and crazy delicious. There were no leftovers last night, otherwise I would've taken them home. Get ready to wow your crowd.

What you will need:
- an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish
- 1 box of Jiffy corn bread mix (the 8.5 oz size)
- 1 can of whole kernel corn, 15 1/4 oz, drained
- 1 can of cream style corn, 14 3/4 oz
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (It's 1 stick melted. Don't worry!!! It's Thanksgiving!!)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray/grease your baking dish. Make sure you only use one of these smaller baking dishes. If you use a 13x9, or something larger, it throws off the whole recipe and you don't get the consistency you're looking for. In a medium bowl, mix together the corn bread mix, the cans of corn (don't forget to drain the whole kernel corn!), the butter, the cheddar cheese, and the sour cream. Mix until it is well incorporated. It will thicken slightly as you mix it. Yummy!
Pour into your greased pan, spread it out so the top is nice and even, and bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow it to cool off almost to room temperature. You don't want to dig into it right away because you want it to firm up just a bit. But if you can't wait and need to dive in, I totally understand. :-) Dish out with a spoon and enjoy! I am certain your family will like it as much as mine did.

And don't forget to come back towards the end of the week so I can show you a picture of just how wonderful this really looks!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment