Like My Page On Facebook

Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

A Tasty Treat During Sandy

Matzo Brie
I needed a change of pace today while I tried to take my mind off the impending storm. I don't think I even have to tell you I'm talking about Hurricane Sandy. It has had enough coverage to strike fear into the hearts of millions. Literally, millions. 

So, anyways, I had a friend that used to make me Matzo brie all the time, and I never knew how she did it. Come to think of it, I never even asked. It was so good. That's all I can remember. I recall it being crispy on the outside and very soft on the inside. I'm a big fan of foods that have texture which is probably why I like it so much. I have been thinking about it a lot lately, and I really wanted to learn how to make it. My friend gave me a recipe of her mother's that sounded delicious, but unfortunately I don't like ricotta or lemon. Both those ingredients are the star in that particular recipe. (I'm sorry!!!) After a little research today, (what else was there to do while everyone else was obsessing about the storm?)I decided to concoct my own version of Matzo Brie based on various recipes I found. It was fantastic! Did you know you can put anything from grape jelly to powdered sugar to cinnamon and sugar on your Matzo Brie? (How awesome does that sound??) Well, now you know. As you can tell from my picture, I went with some powdered sugar. I honestly thought it tasted a bit like funnel cake, and honestly, there's nothing to dislike about funnel cake!...except the fake it is probably several hundred calories. 

Check below for the recipe. I plan on making this again tomorrow for breakfast to see if I can refine my skills. This may just be my new favorite morning comfort food!

Matzo Brie
2 large eggs, beaten
2 pieces of matzo
2 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
powdered sugar for garnish

In a bowl, lightly beat the two eggs with the vanilla until combined. In a separate bowl, crumble the two pieces of matzo and add some water to the bowl just enough to soak the crackers. The crackers will need to sit and absorb most of the water. Meanwhile, preheat your pan and add the butter and olive oil. Once most of the liquid has been absorbed by the matzo, drain any remaining water out of that bowl. Add the moistened matzo to your egg mixture and mix together. 
Pour the combination into your hot pan and spread it out so it looks like the beginning of an omelette. 
What the beginning of your matzo brie should look like (even though this is already after one side has been cooked.)
 Allow the egg mixture to cook and crisp up for several minutes until you can lift it slightly with a spatula. It should all remain intact. If you don't feel like you can flip it in one piece, use a plate to slide it on to and then invert. (It doesn't have to look perfect, so don't be afraid to flip it!)Cook the same way on the remaining side. I like mine on the crispier, well done side, as you can tell.
Once it's done to your liking, remove from the stove and slide it on to a plate. You can slice it in half and sprinkle with powdered sugar or any of the other combinations. Maybe you like a specific kind of jelly or jam; I think I should try that next. Whatever you try, I hope you like it. Who says Matzo Brie isn't a hurricane food? ;-) Post your comments and thoughts here or on my Facebook page, The Delicious Bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment