Like My Page On Facebook

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Slow Cooker Pot Roast

I'll admit...this recipe tonight has no cheese in it. I repeat, there's NO cheese, no cheese-like product, nothing. I don't blame you if you close this browser in disappointment. (Don't! I'm just kidding!) It's ok because dinner was still good minus all the cheesey, gooey goodness. Siiiiiigh. I just love cheese.

(*Snapping out of the daydream) Ok, but I DID make a delicious pot roast today. You know you're getting older when you get excited about meat being on sale at the grocery store. I practically did a cartwheel in the meat department when I saw roasts were on sale for $2.29 a pound. WOOOHOOOOO!! Who am I kidding? I went there specifically FOR the roasts because I saw them advertised in the flyer. Yes, I am the girl that plans her meals for the week by checking out the flyers. Getting meat on sale is like winning the lotto for me. It's the little things.

So I found a recipe on Pinterest (there's that darn Pinterest again), and I was dying to try it. Armed with my new roast at $2.29 a pound, I was all set. I realized I had never made one before, and I wasn't sure how long to really cook it. The recipe said 10-12 hours, but who really has that kind of time? I could crank it for 8 hours on high, but do I really want to ruin a good cut of meat? Good friends on Facebook helped me right along, and let me say, the roast was excellent. Both my husband and I packed the leftovers in Tupperware for work tomorrow.

Here's the recipe. Let me tell you how I tweaked it a bit. First of all, I created my own spice rub for the roast and browned it on all sides. 1 1/2 Tbsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of onion powder, 1/2 tsp of rosemary, and 1/2 tsp of oregano. I added 2 Tbsp of olive oil and mixed it together. I let the rub sit for about 15 minutes so the flavors would infuse into the olive oil.
One thing I did forget to do was pat the roast dry before I seasoned it, but honestly I don't think it mattered. After I browned it, I sliced 2 onions and lots of garlic. (No, I didn't measure with any of that. The more flavor, the better.) Then I followed the recipe as it was written using the gravy mix, applesauce, and water. I did not, however, use the onion soup mix. I find it way too salty. Pour the liquid so it goes about halfway up the meat. I cooked the roast for 6 hours on low, turned the roast, and set it for another 2 hours on high. The result...meat so tender I didn't need to cut it with a knife. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture because we were so hungry and ate it too fast! Serve with some mashed potatoes and roasted veggies and you have yourself a meal. Don't forget to save the juices from the pot to make gravy. Add a little cornstarch and you're done.. :-)

Be sure to post pictures or success stories here, or on my Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. Apple sauce. Definitely book marking this one.

    I've made this Paula Deen one in the past and it was very tender and very flavorful:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pot-roast-recipe2/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmm....I love anything and everything by Paula Deen! Thanks for the link. Look forward to trying it on my next roast.

      Delete