Like My Page On Facebook

Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Asiago, Spinach, Bacon Quiche

MMMMmmmmmmm...
I don't like eggs. There, I said it. I. Don't. Like. Eggs. I had a traumatic experience with eggs when I was in the 7th grade. Who has a traumatic experience with eggs?!, you ask yourself. But trust me, it was awful. I slept over a friend's house, and her sister offered to make us breakfast the next morning. Yes! Breakfast! What will she cook us? Pancakes. Maybe french toast. Maybe regular toast with some butter. Whatever...I was just hungry. She made eggs and must have cooked them, no joke, for 1 minute. Maybe it wasn't a real minute, but honestly, no one should EVER cook eggs in the rapid manner which she did. She puts a plate in front of me that has a pale, runny, yellow blob just sitting in the center. There was actually water or something pooled in the plate because they were that under cooked and...raw. I don't even know what word to use. Cut to the present day, I cannot eat eggs unless they are so well done they are almost burnt. It's my hang up. I'm sorry. Please don't stop reading my blog. ;-)

Anyways, I know you're thinking, how did you eat quiche? I was reading a post on Facebook the other day when a girl said she ate Asiago and spinach quiche and an onion bagel for dinner. (Thanks, Courtney!) Wow, that really sounds amazing. What was this unheard of craving for quiche, and how could I make it with lots of flavor and ingredients to almost mask the eggs? The answer was clear. BACON. Yes, bacon. Say it with me. BACON. Has there ever been a situation when bacon didn't make something better? That's what I thought. You can't think of one. One of my favorite chefs of all time, Michael Symon, is obsessed with bacon, and I can truly see why. So I decide to make my own version of the Asiago spinach quiche and use bacon to make me smile. I used some Greek yogurt for a little bit of richness, and it really gave it something extra. It took ordinary quiche up a few notches, and this recipe made it worthy of a good weeknight dinner. If you don't like the yogurt, just omit it, but I beg you to leave it in. This was so quick, so easy, and my husband and I polished it off by the next day. So if you're like me and you don't love eggs but like a good quiche every now and then, this recipe is for you.

Asiago Spinach Bacon Quiche (for people who don't like quiche)
1 ready-made pie crust (deep dish preferred for all the veggies and BACON)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 medium to large shallot, minced
1 package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
5 strips of thawed bacon, cut into lardons
1 cup of grated Asiago cheese (I prefer Bel Gioso, but you can use whatever.Yes, you are going to have to grate your own. Come on! It's so much fun!)
1/4 cup of Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Gently whisk your eggs in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. To the egg, add your shallots, bacon, spinach, and cheese. (You can definitely brown up the bacon and shallots in a pan before you add them. They will crisp up and continue to cook in the oven. Up to you.) Stir all the ingredients together and add your Greek yogurt. The mixture will take on a creamy consistency at this point. Yummmmm. Transfer the mixture to the pie crust and sprinkle a little more Asiago on top. (Come on! Did you honestly think I wasn't going to add more cheese?!) Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment