Like My Page On Facebook

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What I'm Having For Dinner Tonight

Happy Halloween! This is my favorite time of the year. It's getting cooler out, there are lots of spooky movies on tv, and it's when I really start to get in the mood for lots of winter squash recipes. I also get in the mood to dig into the candy bowl, but I feel like that discussion is a whole different blog post. ;-)

I decided to share the recipe for Winter Squash Soup with Pumpkin that I am making tonight. Nice and simple, and I can eat it while I'm waiting for all the kids to come get some candy.

Try Ina Garten's recipe for squash and pumpkin soup. It looks so delicious and so simple. I know I've posted a few recipes by Ina, but I'm not going to lie, I would love to cook with her. I would cook with her, Michael Symon, Susan Fenniger...the list goes on. It really does, but I won't bore you. The only thing I do that's slightly different with this recipe is, I used already pureed winter squash instead of cubed squash. I always have pureed squash in my freezer because you can buy it already packaged like that at WalMart. (I'm sure you get it at other grocery stores, but I always grab some there. I think it's close to $1.00 a package. Yes, I'm excited about saving money. Always!!) The reason I do this is because it takes out the step of having to puree it. For me, at least. I chop my onions or shallots very finely, so I don't mind if there's a slight texture in the soup. It makes it very flavorful. I garnish it with a dollop of Greek yogurt. And by dollop I mean, I don't measure...ever. :-D I love Greek yogurt.

I do have a food mill, so I could make it very smooth if I used chunks of butternut squash. If you have an immersion blender that will also work as well. I love mine. LOVE it! It's definitely great for soups. If you don't have one, I recommend getting one. You can always find them on sale at Kohl's or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. (Even better when you have Kohl's Cash or those crazy coupons from BB&B! I have a whole kitchen drawer full of them!!)

I will post a picture of my soup later, but if you try it, I hope you post a picture as well. Don't forget to like this blog page, and my Facebook page, so you can post on there as well. Have a great day and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment